Do You LOVE Mac’n’Cheese?
There is a new favorite meal in our house! About twice a month I make this Low-Carb version of Mac’n’Cheese for my family, and it’s a unanimous hit. How did I come by this recipe, you ask? Thanks for asking. 😉
My husband is especially careful about sugars and carbs in his diet. In an attempt to find recipes that accommodate our dietary needs, I’ve read many books about restricting foods with sugar and carbohydrates (which can turn to sugar in the bloodstream).
One such book is by Jorge Cruise, The Belly Fat Cure: Discover the New Carb Swap System. I found a few recipes and pointers that I’ve used successfully. I adapted his Mac’n’Cheese recipe to our taste, and as an effort to be gluten-free.
With this recipe adaptation, if you cut the bread crumbs (or substitute them with a gluten-free version), then viola! you’ll have a low-carb, gluten-free, extraordinarily yummy macaroni and cheese dish the whole family will enjoy.
- 2 cups low carb, gluten free Quinoa elbows or penne by Ancient Harvest
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 3 Tbsp organic Flax Seed flour
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 cups fresh grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2-4 Tbsp Panko bread crumbs
- Parsley for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Prepare pasta per box instructions, and set aside - reserve pasta water
- Melt 4 tbsp butter in saucepan, stir in flax seed flour for 3 minutes
- Whisk cream and bring to boil then reduce heat to low for 3 minutes
- Stir in cheddar cheese
- Stir in half of parmesan cheese
- (Add some reserved pasta water if sauce is too thick)
- Stir in cooked pasta
- Put mixture in square 9x9 baking dish
- Melt 2 tbsp butter with bread crumbs, and remaining parmesan then sprinkle over pasta mixture in baking dish
- Put in oven at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes
- 1 chopped and carmelized onion
- 6 oz of green chilies
- 8 oz of either tuna, lobster or imitation crab meat